FILM: 180 Degrees South (First Showing)
Thursday, November 19, 2020 - 4:00 PM
This gorgeous, historic, and inspiring film from director & surfer Chris Malloy documents the adventures of surfer and climber Jeff Johnson as he retraces the epic 1968 journey of his heroes Yvon Chouinard (rock climbing legend and founder of Ventura-based Patagonia) and Doug Tompkins (founder of North Face and Esprit), on which they drove, mountain climbed and surfed their way to Chilean Patagonia. Jeff encounters big surf, snowy mountains, a dangerous ocean crossing, pulp mills, cowboys, dams and more on his way to climb Cerro Corcovado in Patagonia. Jeff's life takes a turn when he meets up in a rainy hut with Chouinard and Tompkins who, once driven purely by a love of climbing and surfing, now value above all the experience of raw nature and have come to Patagonia to use their influence to help protect it. The film is a road trip movie, a historic document, and an environmental call to arms, but mostly a meditation on what matters most in life –staying true to one's own vision and values.
Running time: 1 hour 25 minutes
This film screening takes place at the Magic Lantern Cinemas, Ketchum at 4pm.
NOTE: SVMoA is screening films in 2020 at the Liberty Theatre in Hailey on the first Wednesdays of the month and also screens films on Thursdays at 4pm and 7pm in partnership with Magic Lantern Cinemas at Magic Lantern’s upstairs location at 100 Second St. West in Ketchum.
Please be sure to purchase tickets for the specific time and location you’re interested in.
HEALTH & SAFETY PROTOCOLS:
- SVMoA staff will wear face masks at the film screening.
- No one will be allowed entry into the theater without a face mask. Please bring your own mask.
- Hand sanitizer will be available for staff & attendees.
- Please do not attend if you are feeling ill or if you’ve recently been in contact with someone ill.
- We will ensure that cleaning protocols are followed and will limit the number of tickets sold to ensure physical distancing.
- SVMoA staff will check in attendees outside the theater.
- Masks are required inside the building unless you are seated.
- A SVMoA staff member inside the theater will help with seating.
- At the end of the show, please use the exits at the front of the auditoriums to the outer hallways and down the stairs (unless you require the elevator).
- Please pick up your trash and deposit it in the additional trash receptacles at those exits. This helps protect the staff while they sanitize the auditoriums for the next show
- For more info on SVMoA's health & safety protocols visit: https://svmoa.org/visit/coronavirus-preparedness
- For more info on Magic Lantern Cinema health & safety protocols: https://mlcinemas.com/
Magic Lantern Cinemas
$10 member / $12 nonmember