Sawtooth National Recreation Area Artist-in-Residence 2021
Call to Artists
The Sawtooth National Recreation Area (Sawtooth NRA) and Sun Valley Museum of Art seek candidates for a new 2-week Artist-in-Residence project during late September/early October 2021.
Located in the state of Idaho, the Sawtooth NRA consists of 756,000 acres of beautiful mountainous scenery and is home to a wide array of wildlife. Managed by the U.S. Forest Service, the Sawtooth NRA includes the Sawtooth Wilderness, Cecil D. Andrus-White Clouds Wilderness, and the Hemingway-Boulders Wilderness areas. The Sawtooth NRA has over 800 miles of trails, 40 peaks rising over 10,000 feet and more than 300 high-elevation alpine lakes that add to the spectacular scenery and vistas.
The Sawtooth NRA is also at the core of the Central Idaho Dark Sky Reserve, 906,000 acres of one of the last large pools of nighttime darkness in the United States. The Reserve is the first Gold-Tier International Dark Sky Reserve in the U.S., and draws visitors from around the world who come to stargaze under the Reserve’s night skies.
One visual artist-in-residence will be selected to participate in a residency in the Sawtooth NRA during fall 2021. The Sawtooth NRA will provide the selected artist with 2 weeks lodging in or near the Sawtooth NRA, and SVMoA will provide the artist-in-residence with a $500 stipend. Lodging may be in either shared or private U.S. Forest Service housing. Artists are responsible for their own transportation, materials, and any required preparation of artwork for exhibition.
2022 marks the 50th Anniversary of the Sawtooth NRA. In celebration of this milestone, the selected artist will:
- Create a body of work for exhibition either inside or outside the Sawtooth NRA Visitor Center (and other potential venues) from June 1, 2022 to January 1, 2023.
- Participate in 1–2 public outreach activities during their residency, including but not restricted to artist lecture, artist workshop for adults or students, interactive community project
- Donate one artwork to the Sawtooth NRA for their permanent collection
- The artist-in-residence will create work that responds to a particular aspect of the Sawtooth NRA, including but not limited to: wildlife, geology, ecosystems, scenery and human history.
Who may apply:
Visual artists over the age of 18 working in any medium are welcome to apply. This includes but is not limited to: painters, sculptors, photographers, filmmakers, fiber artists.
How to apply:
Applications are due Friday, July 16.
- Please include the following:
- a cover letter describing your interest in the Sawtooth NRA and your plan for the residency, what you would produce for the 2022 exhibition, and 1-2 potential outreach programs
- a resume
- a sample of your artistic work – up to 10 images submitted as jpegs
- names and contact information for 3 professional references
The selected artist will be chosen by a jury of Sawtooth NRA and SVMoA staff and other community partners. Selections are based on artistic merit, appropriateness of the artist’s proposal to the program goals, and overall suitability to the residency.
Applicants will be notified of decisions by Friday, July 30.
For more information or to submit applications*, contact:
*Applicants should submit applications to both Susan Kranz and Courtney Gilbert.
Sawtooth National Recreation Area
5 North Fork Canyon Road
Ketchum, ID 83340
Sun Valley Museum of Art
191 5th Street East
Ketchum, ID 83340